A slightly off-kilter art crime caper, lots of sidelong glances and knowing winks from the narrator, with a healthy dose of Gallic wit for good measure. And the story itself is very engaging. These exchanges between the narrator and the reader represent, in their playful display, the heart of the narration of Je m’en vais. But a lot of this is told almost in passing by Echenoz, who is not averse to sidelining things that other authors might consider important, but is quite prepared to go into great detail on matters as trivial as the stops on a metro commute, or the types of vegetables eligible to compete in a county show. [This book has been translated into English under the titles. But if you’re a casual reader of dread and... "I'm Gone begins simply enough: the hero, an urbane Parisian art dealer, tells his wife he's leaving her, drops his keys on the table, and walks out forever. It manages to both utilize and de-construct all the elements of a thriller: a case of ethnic art purloined for private profit, a trip to an unknown world to add geographical interest, a killer on the loose, two strands of narrative that slowly and inevitably converge, mistaken identity, flashbacks, the main character descending into ever deeper mires of trouble, you know, all that stuff that keeps you on the edge of your seat, but done with a wink to make the reader feel intellectually superior - and it has to be said that Millerman does like to feel intellectually superior - plus this appealing narrator who sometimes elbows his way in to the story with sardonic little comments on his own characters. This publication is copyrighted. To see what your friends thought of this book, When I got back here to Arizona, one of the Big Projects I had in mind was to organize all of my books. But sometimes it is the complete absence of the surprise that should have been that begins to worry us. "I'm Gone begins simply enough: the hero, an urbane Parisian art dealer, tells his wife he's leaving her, drops his keys on the table, and walks out forever. Manny gave this five stars, so I felt I had to write a review to explain why only three*. Jaunty, witty, very enjoyable. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published This bar-code number lets you verify that you're getting exactly the right version or edition of a book. All in all, a strange book, fascinating because of its strangeness, but quite perplexing in its overall philosophy. You can keep everything, but I'm gone.". French phenomenon Jean Echenoz's newest novel is a bitingly humorous look at the uncertainties of love at midlife, a suspenseful crime caper, and. But where the other three I have mentioned have all been deeply serious, Je M'en Vais is much more an entertainment--a light and often funny crime caper novel, with ironic twists and characters that require little profundity in the writing (as is found, certainly, in the three others mentioned). ), This splendid little tale won the Goncourt Prize in 1999, and it's as exactly French as a fresh baguette. (I smiled to myself at this point, When I began reading "I'M GONE" 3 days ago, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Every time I opened it, I found myself soon fighting to keep my eyes open. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Having greatly admired and enjoyed several of Jean Echenoz's novels (1914, Running, Ravel, especially), I approached Je M'en Vais with high expectations. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. His new existence is as madcap and unpredictable as his old was staid. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Je m'en vais (Double t. 17) (French Edition). La trama no tiene mucho interės y las descripciones de lugares, personajes y situaciones llegan a ser realmente tediosas, une lecture pas déplaisante dès lors qu'on a digéré le style. The next most common use of words is the description of actions. I especially liked the last chapter as it seemed to perfectly capture the 'reeling' emotion and subsequent half sleepwalking actions that result when the world expectantly shifts (karma is a bitch). I really didn't connect with the style of writing - it just felt like endless descriptions of things I wasn't particularly interested in - and the suave Félix Ferrer was not a character that I could bring myself to like. , not only because both have one foot in the modern art world, but because Echenoz's book also morphs into a kind of crime novel at the halfway point. Au final, le résultat est un grand ennui. Je Men Vais De Jean Echenoz Je Men Vais De Jean Echenoz Free Reading Je Men Vais De Jean Echenoz, This is the best area to read Je Men Vais De Jean Echenoz PDF File Size 24.85 MB since promote or repair your product, and we wish it can be unmodified perfectly. I got the impression that all he ever thought about was sex, and in an emotionless narrative... well, it didn't go down well. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Please try again. It took Millerman more than a week to read this, which is much longer than I would have expected. His new existence is as madcap and unpredictable as his old was staid. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. It is probably unfair for any book to follow Thomas Mann's. The taste of the Prix Goncourt jury - at least the jury around 2000 - seems not very appealing to non-French readers (I liked. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. It begins with a failed relationship and spirals into the same at the end. I really didn't connect with the style of writing - it just felt like endless descriptions of things I wasn't particularly interested in - and the suave Félix Ferrer was not a character that I could bring myself to like. Download Ebook Vianney Je M En Vais Vianney Je M En Vais Recognizing the exaggeration ways to acquire this books vianney je m en vais is additionally useful. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. The last attempt got me through and I found it improved upon persevering. To some extent, I can see Manny's point of view. When I began reading "I'M GONE" 3 days ago, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I got the impression that all he ever thought about was sex, and in an emotionless. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. It was everything I was looking for, the product met all my expectations. May 1st 2002 Topics: [SHS]Humanities and Social Sciences, [SHS.LITT]Humanities and Social Sciences/Literature And that is how I came to be reading I'm Gone, the first I've chosen from this Encore list. He is brilliant and I am working my way through the rest of his oeuvre. It is one of those case of books where the plot is interesting, but the description parts are even more so. It tells us, just like the title, how temporary some of the things we value in life are - money, half-baked relationships, untrustworthy friends. refashioning the detective narrative into something more art-y evidently is such a tempting strategy perhaps it's a trap. Reviewed in the United States on April 22, 2014, This appears to be a novel about pointlessness, life as a carousel roundabout that you finally step off after going for numerous adventures, but essentially ending in much the same place. That was supposed to be a long-term slow project, but once i got started I couldn't seem to stop. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. In spite of the comic characters and biting narrative, Ferrer's story is sad. If you read French, you will really appreciate his absolutely perfect descriptions and facility with the language. Start by marking “I'm Gone” as Want to Read: Error rating book. note the murder puzzles of echenoz's house-mate at les editions de minuit, The prose of this little novel is manneristic, the plot farfetched, the irony of the narrator towards the protagonist paternalistic and outdated. Un voyage intéressant mais on ressent vite que l'auteur n'a pas vécu cette aventure. Or, l’émotion est le ressort de l’action et des intrigues, dans la vie comme dans la littérature. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Sometimes things play out in a way we were expecting all along and when they finally do happen, still don't fail to take us by surprise. I smiled occasionally and even chuckled a few times, but by and large didn't find it all that funny. Her French is a little rusty, but she has a sunny nature that allows her to blithely ignore words she doesn't know as long as she is still swimming along somewhere near the surface, so that can't have been the reason for her tortoise like progress. Descargue como PDF, TXT o lea en línea desde Scribd. That was supposed to be a long-term slow project, but once i got started I couldn't seem to stop. I like novels because they can get into people's thoughts and emotions in a way films rarely do. JavaScript is disabled for your browser. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. In this thesis, the main goal is to study the relation between the narrator and the reader in one particular novel of Jean Echenoz: Je m’en vais, which received in 1999 (same year as Je m’en vais was first published) one of the most prestigious - if not the most prestigious - French literary prices “le prix Goncourt”. Más que una novela parece un libro de viajes. He (or she? ) Refresh and try again. And the story itself is very engaging. Be the first to ask a question about I'm Gone. The narrator adds its little commentary on the events as they unravel, pointing out how frivolous and poetic life can be. Reading it in French, I found it highly engaging on a chapter-by-chapter basis, but ultimately it gave me little reason to keep reading. The intense play on words and the complete lack of emotions in the narrative made this one a very difficult read for me. It took Millerman more than a week to read this, which is much longer than I would have expected. --This text refers to an alternate. je men vais de jean echenoz [READ] je men vais de jean echenoz Read E-Book Online je men vais de jean echenoz, This is the best place to way in je men vais de jean echenoz PDF File Size 20.79 MB in the past relieve or fix your product, and we wish it can be resolved perfectly. Tr. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Je me demande pourquoi ce livre a eu le Prix Goncourt, mais on a déjà assez commenté les bizarreries récurrentes ce prix, je ne reviendrai pas là-dessus. At first reading, the writing style seemed too glib and casually crafted, bordering on the banal. I wonder if some of the humor gets lost in translation here. I cannot say that I was disappointed, but neither was I impressed. This book is a masterpiece for its novelty, economy of words, restraint and, oddly, Gallic sense of humor. I started this book three times, stopping twice with yawns. Jean Echenoz is a prominent French novelist, many of whose works have been translated into English, among them, wants to be a homicide cop in his next life, The 40 Most Popular Horror Novels of the Last 5 Years. Unable to add item to List. He (or she? ) Un style déroutant au début. get the vianney je m en vais link that we meet the expense of here and check out the link. This novel did little of that. We’d love your help. "I'm leaving you. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. French phenomenon Jean Echenoz's newest novel is a bitingly humorous look at the uncertainties of love at midlife, a suspenseful crime caper, and a witty, satirical foray into corruption in the international art market." Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Irresistible really, so why did she take so long? Does this book contain quality or formatting issues? I'm glad I did, because Echenoz plays a lot of fascinating tricks. I really like the unpredictability of the book and the way Echenoz uses cynicism about everyday life to convey his point. Felix Ferrar, a middle-aged Parisian art dealer, walks out on his wife in the first sentence — "I'm going," said Ferrer. It is one of those case of books where the plot is interesting, but the description parts are even more so. : Me voy, Anagrama, 2004. But I was left with a version of that old wartime question: "Was your journey really necessary?". Every time I opened it, I found myself soon fighting to keep my eyes open. What a voice! Please try again. Welcome back. It's already sold half a million copies and won the Prix Goncourt, the country's most prestigious literary prize. Fast delivery, good quality and good price. Echenoz' "Je m'en vais" is not a love story, not an adventure novel, not a crime story, and the author thi The taste of the Prix Goncourt jury - at least the jury around 2000 - seems not very appealing to non-French readers (I liked Ingrid Caven more, but that book - also a Prix Goncourt laureate - looked like a dry thorny cactus at first glance, too). focuses on the little details, as through a magnifying lense, then, proceeds to present a panorama, as through a telescope. Her French is a little rusty, but she has a sunny nature that allows her to blithely ignore words she doesn't know as long as she is still swimming along somewhere near the surface, so that can't have been the reason for her tortoise like progress. The novel is entertaining and very cleverly crafted, certainly indicative of the skilful and disciplined methods Echenoz has offered in his other fictions. After Ferrer's return, his story interlaces with that of a mysterious individual named Baumgartner who, with an unsavory associate known as Le Flétan (the halibut), is not averse to theft and murder to achieve his ends. In the midst of that he pursues some rare native Alaskan art which subsequently appears, is purloined, and gets reunited with Ferrer. Indeed, its greatest mystery is why it's become a cause celebre in France. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Some features of this site may not work without it. Highlight, take notes, and search in the book, In this edition, page numbers are just like the physical edition. Je m'en vais (Double t. 17) (French Edition) - Kindle edition by Echenoz, Jean. I put it aside for about a week in the middle, actually, then went back to finish it just now. Prendre à partie le lecteur de temps en temps ne constitue qu’une faible compensation à ce manque de vie. The 13-digit and 10-digit formats both work. Moreover, I didn't like the protagonist at all, nor did I find him particularly interesting. I read it in one week-end and I loved it. Prix Goncourt 1999 pour Je m'en vais. For it is true that things in life are bland and rich at the same time. This book is great ! But the author, I think, did a clever thing by inserting in the opening pages, Felix Ferrer leaving his wife Suzanne - intent on divorcing her, and - following a quick ride on the Metro - finding instant refuge with one of his mistresses, at her place on the Rue de l'Arcade in Paris. Reviewed in the United States on April 5, 2014. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Most of the words in this book are devoted to descriptions of the appearance of neighborhoods, buildings and people. Although I read a French-to-English translation, Echenoz's literary timbre is unmistakable. It’s October, which means it’s the perfect time to scare yourself with a truly unsettling book. Moderately good or even a bit better.