And then I wanted to drive the narrative of Bo-Katan and Darth Maul into that story, and set us up for the ending. • Pedro Pascal as Din Djarin / The Mandalorian, a lone gunfighter and bounty hunter who is sometimes referred to as "Mando" (a generic term used to refer to all Mandalorians, a clan of skilled warriors). ‘The Mandalorian’ Season 2 Bringing Back Dave Filoni to Direct Again, finally be directing at least one episode, ‘The Mandalorian’ Season 1 Recap: Get Caught Up Before Season 2 Begins This Week, ‘The Mandalorian’ Honest Trailer: This Bounty Hunter’s Childhood Was Literally Ruined By the Prequels, Palpatine, Kylo Ren, Baby Yoda and More: 10 Things You Need to Know From ‘The Star Wars Book’. I have a lot of ideas and I’m really fortunate that I’ve had the opportunity now to work in both animation and live-action, so just getting that exposure is interesting. Launch dates for broadcast, cable and streaming programs, Up-to-date lists for broadcast, cable and streaming series, Pandemic-proof vs. pandemic-contingent broadcast lineups, Signup for Breaking News Alerts & Newsletters, Get our latest storiesin the feed of your favorite networks. Alhough initially deemed by some Star Wars fans as being too whiny, Ahsoka was eventually embraced as she grew from being Anakin Skywalker’s Padawan to a warrior who parted ways with the Jedi order at the end of Clones’ fifth season. It’s a path intended to inform a different point of view for her on the entire war. DAVE FILONI: No. It remains to be seen if any of the other directors from the first season will return to direct any second season episodes. She was one of the first characters he drew upon arrival at Lucasfilm, and drew inspiration from the kid Attack of the Clones character Ashla and the early Episodes trilogy character Shaak Ti, as well as making “little nods to Princess Mononoke,” Filoni tells Deadline. Cinematographer Baz Idoine posted the following to Instagram to announce production wrap on season 2: As you can see on the production clapboard, the name Dave Filoni is listed as director of whatever this scene was. Right now I’m really enjoying the collaboration I have with Jon Favreau on Mandalorian. We’re having a great time making that show, and you know, we’ll see. He also portrays Trapper Wolf. Anything less than what I did would really be shorting the audience, because they had looked forward to that for so long. They’ve all earned their place in the galaxy, so to speak, so I’m sure there’s some more of them to do. So, that remains intact, because I’m over here talking more about the Ahsoka Tano/Rex saga, which is the end of the Clone Wars proper. They set their sabers down, they tried to find different paths to helping people than perhaps, you know, being violent, and so there is an old idea there. She’s one of the few female heroes in the galaxy that includes Leia, Padme and Rey. So that’s why I didn’t go too far into [Sith]. DEADLINE: You mentioned George Lucas instructing you on the do’s and don’ts in the universe. Dave Filoni's Cameo Explained - The Mandalorian - - YouTube That’s at least three episodes accounted for, so if the second season also has eight episodes like the first season, there could be as many as five other directors. FILONI: I couldn’t speak to anything at this point. First for me there’s a story and then I have to decide what’s the best medium, and I think there are certain avenues open to me at this point. So, that had its own challenges. Why the Lightsaber Duel in ‘The Phantom Menace’ is the Most Important Moment in the Prequel Trilogy, According to Dave Filoni, The ‘Star Wars’ Prequel Trilogy Gets Recapped in 8 Minutes By Josh Gad as Olaf the Snowman, ‘Star Wars: The High Republic’ Introduces Gnarly New Villains, Including Amorphous Beings and Marauders, Watch the Trailer for a ‘Star Wars: The High Republic’ VR Jedi Adventure within ‘Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge’, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. If my team and I have had any success now, it’s improving and getting better over the years, and learning from George. Also, what was your thought process on how deep you’d take the last season into Revenge of the Sith? He’s a great mentor. While she didn’t show up in Season 6, she appeared in Filoni’s co-created animated series Star Wars: Rebels (which takes place 14 years after Sith) to face her old mentor, now turned as Darth Vader. All names, trademarks and images are copyright their respective owners. Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy. We want to hear from you! I’m really excited about it; I wrote it and directed it, so you know, that’ll be a fun thing for me, and I’ve been learning from Jon. Web design by Pro Blog Design. But first, before I decide where it’s going to go, I need to decide on a story I want to tell, and invest my time in, because it’s a lot. DEADLINE: The ending for Clone Wars, where Vader finds the lightsaber of his old Padawan Ahsoka — was that the finale you were always envisioning or was there an alternative? As a kid I wondered what happened to Luke after Return of the Jedi and all my heroes. Hear Filoni explain the significance of the duel below. Dave Filoni is a director, executive producer, and writer of The Mandalorian. All Rights reserved. Los Angeles Coronavirus Update: Public Health Urges Residents To Avoid Large Halloween Gatherings As County Sees Upwards 1,300 New Cases & 15 New Deaths, 'Halloween' Director John Carpenter: The Film That Lit My Fuse, Focus Features Eyes Summer 2021 Release For Cannes Market Pick-Up ‘Blue Bayou’, Scott Derrickson To Direct ‘Black Phone’ For Blumhouse & Universal, Facebook Marketing Exec Kamala Avila-Salmon Joins Lionsgate As Studio’s First Head Of Inclusive Content, Hollywood Mourns The Original O07: Tributes From Daniel Craig, Stephen King; Career In Pictures, Focus Features-Amblin’s ‘Come Play’ Tops Halloween Weekend Frame, Showbiz Activists Make Final Push In Remaining Days Of Election; Joe Biden Again Slams Netflix & Amazon Over Taxes, Eli Roth: The Film That Lit My Fuse, Halloween Edition. All names, trademarks and images are copyright their respective owners. The best moment from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is burned into the brains of anyone who’s seen it: as John Williams’ epic score blares, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi face down Darth Maul, who ignites his double-bladed lightsaber and engages in a spectacular two-on-one fight. I would be wrong for it, and that would be fine, but I had to take my crack at doing it off of what he taught me and see if it worked, and so far so good. Send us a tip using our annonymous form. I always thought “Duel of the Fates,” the John Williams track, was referring to the symbolic fight between good and evil as embodied in the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul. Mandalorian director and voice-over actor, and future Star Wars director Taika Waititi reportedly calls Filoni “an encyclopedia of all the Star Wars Lore.” The dust may have settled from Clone Wars, but Filoni remains an important Jedi master for many years to come in the galaxy far, far away. Or are you just focused on Mandalorian Season 2 now? The fight isn’t about any of the combatants at all…it’s about Anakin Skywalker. Affiliate links used when available. I’m trying to maintain the integrity of what George did in his work and just say, this is how it went for Ahsoka and Rex. It was more his experiences making the films and more his sensibilities that we always discussed. Posted on Sunday, March 8th, 2020 by Ethan Anderton. I’m learning, you know. On top of that, The Mandalorian cast member Carl Weathers will be getting behind the camera this season too. Either way, this series will undoubtedly attract and utilize great filmmakers out there, both established and rising talents. I think also it was an interesting way in these four parts to tell a complete story of Anakin [Skywalker] that’s not the same as the film, and one of the things that I was very careful to do is, while I am near the film and paralleling the film, and sometimes interwoven with it, I never want to change anything that’s happening in there or say if you look at it from this way, it’s different. I mean, there’s a lot riding on everything Star Wars, especially for me personally, being here so long, I want to make sure I get it right. That took a lot of working and reworking just to establish what this experience is supposed to be for her. Affiliate links used when available. Disney+, Disney/Pixar, LucasFilm, Sci-Fi, Sequels, Television, Carl-Weathers, Dave Filoni, Jon-Favreau, The Mandalorian, The Mandalorian Spoiler Discussion Podcast: Season 2 Episode 1 “The Marshal”, Pop Culture Imports: ‘Nosferatu,’ ‘Les Diaboliques,’ ‘A Tale of Two Sisters,’ and More Spooky Foreign Films, New on Blu-ray: ‘Back to the Future’ Trilogy, ‘Parasite’, ‘El Camino’, ‘Haunt’, Everything We Learned From Ted Raimi’s Online Chat at the Telluride Horror Show, ‘The Mandalorian’ Returns With an Explosive Premiere Filled With Big Action and Plenty of ‘Star Wars’ Deep Cuts, Revisiting ‘Swiss Family Robinson,’ Disney’s Problematic Box Office Smash From 1960, Copyright © 2005-2019 /Film. I mean, it’s definitely something that I left hanging at the end and part of that reason is just it’s always nice in my mind when there’s another story. But when Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4.05 billion, they halted Clone Wars, only to resurrect it on Disney+ for a seventh and final season that ended on May the 4th. Web design by Pro Blog Design. That’s what makes this all work. DEADLINE: With Clone Wars over, do you think we’ll see another season of Rebels? Some fans in the thread on Twitter that Phil Szotstak created have been wondering if they may have some kind spiritual tie to Filoni’s work on the two-part season finale of Book One: Water from the  Avatar: The Last Airbender animated series. What is about her in your opinion that has mesmerized fans? I always try to look at it as relating to kids, because I was a kid when I first watched Star Wars. I thought it was really compelling and the imagery of the lightsaber and him holding it; that spoke so much. Those are the challenges, but that’s what I love to do, and I was really just pleased with how it all turned out. While some of the Star Wars faithful have become disgruntled with the direction of the franchise in Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker, they also exclaim Filoni as the savior of Star Wars, particularly with his big fingerprints on Mandalorian, and of course, Clones. The presence of the koi fish on the clap board is interesting. He promptly found a mentor in George Lucas, learning and working with him on building out the Star Wars universe between the feature installments of Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith in Clone Wars. … So there’s a 50/50 chance that Dave Filoni is directing the second season finale, but he’s at least directing one episode. Lucasfilm creative art manager posted the same photo on Twitter but also pointed this out: Just a reminder for you Star Wars speculators out there that TV episodes aren’t necessarily filmed in release order. DEADLINE: What has the biggest challenge been in wrapping up the final season of Clone Wars? It also spoke to something that I discussed with George (Lucas) over the years as far as the aftermath of the Clone Wars.