Disassembly can be challenging for the novice 1911 shooter, as it is not intuitive. Six major concealed carry insurance programs are now available to the millions of Americans who carry concealed. Colt answered the problem with their Super .38 auto on the good old model 1911 design. Hot Review No video found. No problem with .38 Spl.

Interestingly, both owners of the Shooting Center were less than overwhelmed by the new Python compared with the older, blued versions. You will enjoy the nice ergonomics and there are a wide range of options and calibers available. The screw did not move a fraction of an inch. Colt Super Express has the spirit of the original, award-wining Colt Express in the form of a fast-paced, survive-to-win format that players can take anywhere.

The new Colt Competition .38 Super is available for $999. Reimplemented by: N/A Colt Super Express + 0 more. Apparently, some shooters had experienced difficulties with light-primer strikes, damaged muzzle crowns and cylinder-rotation failures. On the positive side, the grips fit the Python frame perfectly, so there was no movement or loosening of the laminated wood panels throughout subsequent shooting and handling sessions. In Colt Super Express is er één trein en zeven bandieten.Zeven, dat zijn er zes te veel! More than 100 years later the same basic gun is still in service in the US military, as well as being carried by many law enforcement officers and armed citizens.

shut down). In other words, I needed two separate range expeditions. However, because of the weight, it is not the best gun for packing all day. The Colt Competition was one of the highlights of the event, especially given its sub-$1,000 price tag. In addition, the internet had some rather hostile reviews on new production Pythons. by Dick Williams - Wednesday ... Ammo included all the brands shown in the test table plus some leftover Super Vel .38 Spl. Privacy Policy   •   Contact Us   •   Warnings   •   FAQs   •  © 2020 National Rifle Association of America. The guns tend to be heavy, which helps with muzzle flip. By offering our excellent Colt Competition Pistol™ in .38 Super, we allow match shooters who love that round to take advantage of our well thought out, race-ready platform. Joined: Oct 23, 2000 It happens. Many people rely on the 1911 pistol for self-defense. It’s a winning combination.”. While re-installing the grips, I stripped the last two threads on the end of the screw that retains the grip panels on the frame. For more information about the new Colt Competition .38 Super, be sure to check out the specifications below, or visit the Colt website. Even before Colt ceased production of these revolvers, thus turning them into collector’s items, a lot of us “old guys” considered the original blued Pythons to be the most beautiful double-action revolvers ever built. Om het spel te winnen, moet je de laatste bandiet in de trein zijn! loads like CCI Blazer, but I was constantly struggling to regain control with heavier loads. The 1911, with a few exceptions, are single-action pistols. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; Frame: Carbon steel Slide: Carbon steel Finish: Blued Trigger: 4.5-6 lbs., three-hole aluminum Grips: G10 checkered blue, with scallop Capacity: 9+1 rounds Price: $999 Manufacturer: Colt.

Ammo included all the brands shown in the test table plus some leftover Super Vel .38 Spl. Colt Express (like all of the Spiel des Jahres winners) is a great fit. In the course of the afternoon, there were zero malfunctions of any kind. Colt specifications dictate a trigger that will help you survive a fight, not make your shooting buddies gasp in awe when they dry-fire the Python in your living room. I’ll take most of the blame for this since I’m prone to using “gorilla tactics” when working on guns, and this isn’t the first time I’ve stripped the threads on a gun screw. There is a barely visible seam where the side plate joins the frame right where the side-plate screw enters the frame. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "topgunreview0-20"; amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = "Colt 1911 accessories"; Many are sensitive to different types of ammunition. There are many different models, sizes and manufacturers of this 1911 pistol. Since. Trigger and Accuracy

Plus, I wanted some input from an experienced trainer with larger hands.

If you press on it with a thumb, it will move slightly before returning to its last setting, hence the name “adjustable sight.” Additionally, the top outer edges of the rear-sight blade feature a short, 45-degree corner rather than the sharp, 90-degree corner I seem to recall on older Pythons. Vous allez adorer Colt Super Express. Caribou Media Group earns a commission from qualifying purchases. The Python was not cleaned at any time during the shooting session other than a couple of muzzle wipes to check the condition of the crown. Although full size, it remains easy to conceal for those who choose to carry one for self-defense purposes. My test gun arrived at the same time we began the suggested/recommended/dictated quarantine caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Colt Super .38 1929 Model, Pre-WWII Colt Super Match .38 1935 Model, Pre-WWII Colt Ace Model .22 Pistol Colt Pre-1945 Service Model Ace .22 R.F. ammunition up through lighter .357 Mag. Disclosure: These links are affiliate links. The new arm shot a 130 grain bullet at 1,300 feet and proved an answer to the problem. Still, once the two Pythons and I parted company, I wasn’t prepared for the overwhelming feeling that there was a void in my life, and I sought consolation elsewhere, primarily in the acquisition of a couple of other discontinued, but still affordable, Colts. As someone who attended, I felt it was a pretty strong showing, particularly after some of the difficulties the company had faced in years prior. The Internet comments had mentioned the Python’s side-plate screw coming loose, which failed to keep pressure on the hand, thus allowing it to “skip” over the cylinder ratchet causing cylinder-rotation failure. The situation had changed by the time I could arrange the next shooting session. Because of this. it does not make this the best choice for self-defense work. Pistol Colt Service Model Ace-Post-War Colt Conversion Units .22-.45, .45-.22 Colt Pre-war and Post-war “U” numbered Service Model Colt Post-war Conversion Units amzn_assoc_title = "Search Results from Amazon"; fnfalman Chicks Dig It. Soyez le dernier dans le train pour remporter la partie mais attention aux explosifs qui réduisent le nombre de wagons et aux tirs affûtés des autres Bandits. Even before, While it was not a surprise when Colt began manufacturing some of its old double-action revolvers, I had expected the Python to be the first model offered. J. It served as an index mark to see if the screw had moved during the firing session. In the world of handguns, many people regard the old Colt Pythons as true classics.

The sight is not rock solid like a dove-tailed fixed rear sight; it maintains its position under spring tension. Fortunately, it wasn’t too long until the factory announced two versions of the Python: one with a 4.25-inch barrel, the other with a 6-inch barrel. Disclosure: Some of these links are affiliate links. This system helps reduce felt recoil to keep shots on target, and it dramatically increases recoil spring service life, something hardcore competitors should appreciate.

amzn_assoc_linkid = "12c8d269e14870724c8f38130a9e11c2". Externally, my 4.25-inch production test sample looked exactly like the guns fired at Gunsite. It ships with two, nine-round factory magazines. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I tried to manually wiggle them, but the fit was too good. The event posed both risks and rewards for Colt.

Women On Target® Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Ambassadors, NRA Outstanding Achievement Youth Award Presented by Brownells, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, 5 Reasons to Choose a 10 mm for Self Defense, © 2020 National Rifle Association of America. For more information about the new Colt Competition .38 Super, be sure to check out the specifications below, or visit the Colt website. Some of the cast-bullet handloads were quite old and produced a lot of gunk that affected the trigger pull, making it slightly sticky, but still manageable. Quick review on Colt Competition .38 Super in blued & SS Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fnfalman, May 29, 2017. There has been an error with your Email Subscription.

One of the most impressive firearms brought out was the Colt Competition pistol, a 1911 chambered in either 9mm or .45 ACP and built for speed. These will likely be hard patches rather than liquid Loctite. There was only one problem that surfaced at the Gunsite event, and that was an occasional soft strike that failed to ignite the primer.

When firing heavier loads, my shooting hand slides around the right panel, and I can’t maintain my firing grip from shot to shot. The new Colt Competition .38 Super, like its predecessors, features Colt's excellent Dual Spring Recoil System. However, its relatively high cost plus you will need to invest additional money into reliability enhancements. Entire books can be, and have been, written about the Colt 1911 pistol. Colt has made a couple of good changes on the sights. Players compete to be the last Colt Express rider standing because there can only be one when this train stops. n the world of handguns, many people regard the old Colt Pythons as true classics. Many of them also invest thousands of dollars into custom work to enhance reliability.

Ergonomics and Recoil Because of that comment, I checked the side-plate screw prior to the indoor range tests, but never touched the screw at any time the gun was in my possession. You will find the trigger on the Colt pistol tends to be very good with a light pull and clean break. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; Since the session would involve pounding 250 to 300 rounds of ammo through the new gun, I was eager for some trigger-time assistance from a couple of experienced Python guys. The orange enhances visibility of the front blade, while the 90-degree corners still allow a precise sight picture when combined with the square notch in the rear sight. While Colt made the new Python to look like the originals, the objective was for the new guns to survive and thrive in the kind of adverse environments that proved too harsh for the older guns. We all signed non-disclosure agreements promising silence until Colt had a number of production guns ready for distribution.

Every time I experienced this failure, a second strike successfully fired the gun regardless of whether I was shooting double or single action. But, while I’m emotionally moved by blued gun steel, my practical side quickly acknowledges the advantage of stainless steel, whether it’s meant for concealed carry or an outdoor adventure. You will feel a bit of recoil of the .45 ACP. loads. You simply press a magazine release button to drop the empty magazine and slide a loaded one into its place. Since Shooting Illustrated focuses on the tactical/practical use of firearms, I chose to examine the shorter barrel with its history as a duty- or service-oriented handgun. Fortunately, Firearms Training Associates offered its outdoor range. Despite that, they’re still too bulky for controlled double-action shooting by persons with short fingers or small hands. The front ramp has a plastic orange insert, which I like on a handgun that may be needed during reduced-light conditions. Weight: 36 oz. I mention the double-/single-action element because the hammer fall distance is noticeably less when shooting double action as opposed to cocking the hammer. Thank you! There were no malfunctions (all rounds went bang) of any kind. Colt Super Express has the spirit of the original, award-wining Colt Express in the form of a fast-paced, survive-to-win format that players can take anywhere. by Dick Williams -