A lonely German woman ends up in the most desolate motel … I first watched it at the Electric cinema in Portobello Road longer than I can remember but always thought about it so when the chance to get the DVD was presented I grabbed it and I'm so happy I did. Try again. Approved third parties also use these tools in connection with our display of ads. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. The Cafe has become a magnet for some of truly odd character: temperamental Hispanic cook George Aguilar, tattoo artist Christine Kaufmann, and onetime Hollywood set designer Jack Palance. [1] Loosely based on Carson McCullers' novella The Ballad of the Sad Café (1951), the film centers on two women who have recently separated from their husbands, and the blossoming friendship that ensues. Personal life. WOW!

Prime members enjoy fast & free shipping, unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video and many more exclusive benefits. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 10 September 2018, I wasn’t sure if I liked the film at first but as it progressed I was intrigued by the various characters. She stops at the Bagdad Cafe, a fleapit truckstop run by outspoken C.C.H. Prime members enjoy fast & free shipping, unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video and many more exclusive benefits. And it really does work, so that by the end, the magic show is totally joyous. She has a remarkable personal charm that is really at the centre of this amiable film, although all the performances are very good. In Bavarian Perspective - NYTimes.com", "Box Office Champs, Chumps: The hero of the bottom line was the 46-year-old 'Bambi' – Page 2 – Los Angeles Times", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bagdad_Cafe&oldid=975139740, Best Foreign Film Guldbagge Award winners, Articles needing additional references from September 2018, All articles needing additional references, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, 1988: won Best Foreign Language Film at the, 1988: won Bavarian Film Award Best Screenplay (Eleonore & Percy Adlon), 1988: won Ernst Lubitsch Award (Percy Adlon), 1989: won Amanda Best Foreign Feature Film (Percy Adlon), 1989: won Artios Best Casting for Feature Film, Comedy (Al Onorato and Jerold Franks), This page was last edited on 26 August 2020, at 23:04. Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Percy Adlon's Trek to 'Bagdad Cafe' – Los Angeles Times", "MOVIE REVIEW: 'Bagdad Cafe' Serves Endearing and Quirky Version of America – Los Angeles Times", "Movie Review - Bagdad Cafe - Review/Film; Exotic U.S.

George Aguilar in 2019. We use cookies and similar tools to enhance your shopping experience, to provide our services, understand how customers use our services so we can make improvements, and display ads.

We work hard to protect your security and privacy. This grounds the film in a certain emotional realism, as she has the failing cafe to cope with alone, plus two teenage children and the baby of one of these. [9] The show did not attract a sizable audience and it was cancelled after two seasons.[10]. [5], The film was successful at the box office, with a US gross of $3.59 million. Approved third parties also use these tools in connection with our display of ads. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. In the TV version the tourist was no longer from Germany. The problem with this kind of material, which is basically "feel-good' but dressed up with more arty credentials, is how to avoid its sweetness becoming all too much.

SCREENED/AWARDED AT: Ceasar Awards, Oscar Academy Awards, ...Bagdad Cafe ( Out of Rosenheim ).

Adlon counts on the magic arriving and lifting the viewer, like the characters, as if suddenly caught in the middle of a double rainbow.

There's a problem loading this menu at the moment. Smashing job Studio Canal!! This is probably what led Adlon to make the opening part so long. Two women, both splitting from husbands acrimoniously, find themselves in the same space in the desert truck-stop and motel, where the German Jasmin feels miserable and feisty Brenda becomes all but unbearable.